Friday, June 5

We are living in the X-Box Generation!














By Elaine Canny

Ireland is one of the most sporting countries in the world.
GAA, international soccer, boxing, swimming, motor sport, equestrian sport and sailing are dominating the world and being led by the Irish. Sport plays a vital role in the development of young people in this country. Sports have been in our culture for many centuries, and during this European elections campaign, Sports and the lack of emphasis put on young people’s involvement in them had been raised. With the current TV and computer games culture taking over young people, sporting is a major issue in getting young people involved in these elections.

Micheal Seoige a young student from north Galway said "I think sport should be one of the main issues that MEPs should focus on if they want young people to become more involved in politics. Sport is a major pastime among my age. Not only did playing sports keep me fit and active but on a more serious level, it kept me on the straight and narrow while I was in school. It kept me more focused on school, I had training four times a week so I was taking care of myself, I didn’t touch alcohol even though most my friends were out drinking, I couldn’t as I wouldn’t have been able to perform as well as I did. I also had to keep my grades up in order to make the teams, so I did well in school too".

Sporting plays a vital role in bringing communities together. MEPs such as Fine Gael’s MEP Jim Higgins and Fianna Fail’s MEP candidate Paschal Mooney emphasised the importance in raising the issue of sports among young people.

Paschal Mooney said "The EU plays a pro-active role through the ‘Sports for All’ program. We are living in the X-box generation, where the computer is more relevant than the football, the basketball, or the racket. Obesity levels have risen dramatically in the last ten years, so it is MEPs' jobs to harness young people’s focus on sports. I must applaud the various sporting bodies in Ireland like the GAA who have played a sterling role in getting young people involved in sports. I think the focus is on jobs and the economy so the issue of sports is being somewhat neglected. It is an issue that interests me myself, i was a sports broadcaster for many years, if i was elected MEP, i would explore the issues of sports and initiatives.

Jim Higgins said "Sports and athletics have been a long time passion for me. As a former GAA player i believe the promotion of sports provided and important recreational and social outlet for participants and spectators. I sponsor a premier league match for Sligo Rovers each year. I am also a patron of Finn Harps FC in Donegal. All politics is local".

With the like of Katie Taylor (Boxing ) and Adam Carroll (Motor Sport) making a name for themselves, with the backing of MEPs the issue of sports with young people will be brought into more focus.

Elections are Friday 5 June with both Jim Higgins and Paschal Mooney running for election in the North West Constiuency.

No comments: